Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Voice

About a year ago, I shared a few stories about my guitar playing and song writing experiences that had suddenly seemed to blossom. I wrote five songs in a short period of about three months – considering that I am a self taught musician, you can easily imagine how delighted this made me feel!


Since then, I’ve shared my songs with small crowds at ‘Open Mic Nights’ throughout the city and the students that I was teaching over the course of last fall and winter. I always enjoy sharing… even if I make mistakes along the way. I’ve never stopped a song – to begin again – if I had made a mistake, I just kept on going – plowing through and getting myself back on track.

A little while ago, it struck me that I hadn’t written anything new in a while. Most of my attention was focussed on getting better and better at playing my small collection of tunes. I also spent a bit of time creating videos for two of these songs…

My newest video (this one is a lot of fun) is – The Bricks Of Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVcQiXq9qhI


My first video (which is very simple cuz it was my first attempt and I was learning) is – World On A Chain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5srmo8SvKU&feature=channel_page

I hope that you enjoy these videos and do feel free to share them with your friends!

About a month ago, I started to push myself to create a new song to add to my collection. The chord progressions that came out of me were my simplest yet, but they did create quite a haunting mood. Joanne thought that my song sounded like something that Leonard Cohen might sing – I was flattered!!!

I was thinking about all the noise pollution that we humans have created and what we would hear if we were to quiet these harmful actions… maybe we would hear the sounds of the world’s peaceful warriors, singing songs of peace for the dawning of a new age!

The Voice
(It’s Not Me – It’s You!)

If we could calm the angry oceans
And soothe the aching skies.
If we could still the politicians
And silence all their lies.

If we could stamp out forest fires
And shrink the deserts growing.
If we could clean the TV screens
And pay all debts we’re owing.

If we could reverse wheels a rollin’
(But you can’t turn back time…
So it’s into the future baby!!!)
And scream with determined Rock!
If we could open eyes still sleeping
And unplug the doomsday clock.
(I just can’t take it anymore…
All this talk about the ‘End of the World’)

If we could hear the freedom coming…

Then we would hear the sound – Yeah!
We would hear the sound – Yeah!
We would hear the sound
Of one happy peaceful voice.

Then we would hear the sound – Yeah!
We would hear the sound – Yeah!
We would hear the sound
Of one peaceful loving voice.

Then we would hear the sound – Yeah!
We would hear the sound – Yeah!
We would hear the sound
Of one loving happy voice.

(repeat to fade….)

Jim

No comments: