Saturday, September 19, 2009

One Cup of Sunshine with a Tablespoon of Love

I was thinking that the title for today’s blog should be ‘Garden Stew’ cuz I’ll be sharing pics about a number of different species of plants – LOL!!!

Earlier this spring, I shared some stories about the importance of weeding – how to use the ‘weeds’ that grow throughout our lawns for a more productive purpose. I mentioned how important it is to take care when weeding – to thoroughly extract the roots of the weeds and not just break the plant portion off at ground level cuz the root will grow back.


It was about two days after I had uploaded that story when I took this picture. I had used a small hand tool to help me grab this dandelion’s root. When I started to pull my hand kept rising and rising as more and more root came out of the ground. I couldn’t believe that this tiny little dandelion would have a root that almost went all the way to China – LOL!!!

This spring my neighbour and I were chatting about our plans for our gardens. He had mentioned that he was hoping to actually get rid of a small flowerbed in the front of his yard. He wanted to replant that area with some grass. I told him that I would happily steal some plants from this garden. And I did!


This is one of those plants. I have know idea what it is called – but it sure did a wonderful job of filling in and flowering for me this summer!!!! Being a gardener means that you have to always be willing to learn new things. How can you learn about a plant if you can’t provide a home for it so that you can watch it grow. You learn things like – how big the plant grows – what kind of flowers it produces (size, shape, colour) – how many flowers bloom – when do they bloom and what does the plant do after it has flowered?

I’ve had several friends tell me that they think I go a little overboard with my gardening. They don’t understand why I spend my time planting berry bushes and raspberry vines in a place where I’m renting. By the time the bushes are established and producing fruit I’ve usually moved from that space. I regard these exercises as learning experience for when Jo’ and I do have our own home – we’ll really know what we’re doing by then – LOL!!!

The way I approach my gardening is the way I would like to inspire the world to act – thinking about the future. Yes, indeed, it is a lot of work establishing a healthy garden, but future residents simply have to maintain these gardens – which is very easy work. I am hopeful that one day people will regard all of their actions with this philosophy. Then people will be able to rest their minds knowing that future generations will benefit from their work. Presently my mind is ill at ease thinking about all the repair work we are leaving for future generations because we are making so many errors in our judgement.


This is the berry patch that I planted this spring. I stole four raspberry canes and two blackcap canes from one of our friends. I never buy any of the plants that I grow. There are so many plants surrounding us – you just have to find a parent, friend or neighbour that is willing to share.


When I transplant bushes, vines or trees I always create little motes around them. After a few weeks of spring rain these motes will flatten and level out with the surrounding ground, but for their first week these motes allow me to supply the plant with an abundance of water – concentrated in the area where the roots are healing and growing.


This is another plant that I don’t know much about. I didn’t notice this plant last year and I was really excited to show Joanne my newest discovery. She laughed and told me that she had discovered it last spring and that it was her efforts that had increased the amounts of flowers that I was now appreciating.


She told me that last year there had only been one single flower in this area. She said that once it had bloomed that each individual ‘petal’ had produced a seed pod. It took about three weeks for these pods to dry up and then the seeds were ready for planting. She said that she had taken this dried flowerhead full of seeds and had banging it on the ground around the original plant.

Well, it worked! She had made one plant become ten plants – with hardly any effort at all.

This year I watched these plants with much interest, waiting for the seed pods to become ready. Then I did as Jo’ did, last year. This time, however I shook the seeds in several different areas throughout our gardens, not just in the one area. I imagine next spring will see the results of this year’s efforts.

So, there ya go! A little mish-mash of all sorts of different plant and flower stories to inspire your future gardening endeavours. Be green! Be happy! Be healthy!

Jim

No comments: