Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Zu-zu-zu-zucchini!!!

I love growing vegetables! Lots and lots of different kinds of vegetables! There is nothing more satisfying than watching the seeds that I so carefully bury beneath the soil turn into plants that provide my family with healthy foods.



This spring was a very busy time for me. The house that Joanne and I bought didn’t come with any vegetable gardens so I had to dig them in by hand. This took a lot of effort and when it came time to do the planting I realized that I still did not have enough space in my garden for all the vegetables that I wanted to plant.



I decided to use some of the available spaces that I found in a few of my flowerbeds. This small area was filled with many spring flowers, like Tulips and Daffodils, and by mid May they had all bloomed and died. I figured that this would be a great location for my squash and zucchini plants. I made sure that I created the planting locations where there were no flower bulbs hiding underneath the soil.


You can see that I created mini volcano-like holes in the soil to plant my seeds. I do this to conserve water. Water for these veggies is poured into these craters and soaks downwards directly to the roots of the plants.



I must have done something right, cuz this is what this garden looks like, now! I’ve harvested many zucchinis, so far, and I expect many more of the next two months. The Butternut Squash plants are also doing very well. I like the small purple flowers that have added a splash of colour to this garden, too!


For story telling purposes I find that it is necessary to take – what I call – pictures, like the ones above. But when I’m inspired, I like to be a bit more creative with my camera to capture photographs, images that capture a mood and a texture, with heavy concentration on the composition for an enjoyable photograph…



Photography starts by first getting close to the subject matter.



And then you get a little closer, still. This can allow you to use macro settings on your camera.



Whenever possible, do not put your subject matter in the middle of your composition and remember to think about what’s in the background.


With zucchini season upon us, many people are looking for yummy recipes. I found one recipe – through the power of ‘google’ – and I’m going to share it with you…


Zucchini Loaf a la Jimbo

Ingredients


3 cups all purpose organic flour

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon baking powder

3 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1 cup chopped nuts (walnut, almond, etc)

3 local farmed organic eggs

1 cup vegetable oil

2 ¼ cups white sugar

3 teaspoons vanilla extract

2 grated zucchini


Directions


Grease and flour 2 regular sized loaf pans and 1 mini pan

In a large bowl mix flour, salt, baking soda and powder, cinnamon and nuts

In a larger bowl beat eggs, oil and sugar together until creamy

To the liquid mixture add vanilla and grated zucchini

Turn oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C)

Add the dry ingredients to the liquid and mix thoroughly

Pour batter into the 3 pans and bake for 40 – 60 minutes (or until tester inserted into the centre of the loaf comes out clean)

Cool in pans for 20 minutes

Remove from pans to cool completely

Eat and enjoy!!!


I’ve gotten into the habit of freezing the two larger loafs so that I can enjoy them through the winter while I eat the small loaf over the next few days.


And don’t forget to share! With you neighbours, friends or co-workers – they’ll be very happy to learn that you can actually cook!!!


Here’s something so simple that you can also do with your zucchinis…



BBQ them!!!! That’s right! Just slice them about ¾ inch, sprinkle (in a bowl) with a bit of oil, add salt, pepper and other spices or herbs and toss them on the grill – about 3 or 4 minutes each side. Yum! Great with mushrooms and peppers, too.


Grow vegetables, eat healthy, bake happy and enjoy life!!!!


Jim


PS – Growing your own food also helps our environment. Think of all the transportation trucks that WILL NOT be needed to transport food, if you and your neighbours all grew a little something and shared with each other. :)



Here’s another Earth saving tip…


Many people think that just by turning off appliances that are not in use, that they are saving electricity and our environment. This does help, but any electrical appliance will still be drawing electricity simply by being plugged in. A computer scanner plug in actually gets warm, just by being plugged in. Think how much energy is needed to actually warm up a plug! So… when you are not watching TV, or not using your computer or stereo unplug!!!!


‘Nuf said

No comments: