Saturday, January 10, 2009

Why I Love My Wife – Reason 1 638 925

Joanne and I have been together for almost fifteen years. There has never been a dull moment. Jo’ is my best friend and I always look forward to spending as much time as I can with her. Over the last few weeks, we have had quite a bit of time to enjoy together. With christmas and New Year’s both falling on Thursdays, Joanne has had a few lazy afternoons to share with me.

During this time, I’ve been busy getting everything ready for my art classes that are soon to begin again, so I spend a few hours in my ‘art room’ everyday. Joanne enjoys my busy time by taking Koly for extra long walks, reading or relaxing with a cup of tea. We may not be in the same room at the same time, but it’s nice just to know that Jo’ is still close by.

Like me, Joanne always has to be using her imagination to find ways to be creative. The artist within her has been exploring the medium of food and that suits me just fine!!! I love to eat good food. Now – don’t let me be misunderstood – we both like to prepare nice meals, everyday, but our lives are usually quite busy so having an afternoon to flip through a cookbook is a bit of an extra special treat.

A few days before christmas, Joanne had prepared an amazing beef stew with a few veggies from our garden. Earlier, while she was enjoying her morning tea, she watched a cooking show on TV – we only get four channels so we can’t be too picky – and that resulted in a beer and cheese bread that tasted wonderful with the stew.

A few days before New Year’s, Jo’ was at it again…


This time she had baked a pear tart! She made the crust from scratch, using flour, honey and crushed nuts. The sauce was made from fruits we had picked during the summer and some of my mom’s homemade red currant jam. I approached the tart with a knife, after it came out of the oven and Joanne got really mad at me, “Not ‘til after dinner!” And what a super yummy dinner we had…


Joanne made pizza! Usually, we buy frozen pizza dough from our local bakery, but today Jo’ made the crust from scratch. She lightly fried a ton of veggies, including artichoke hearts and then began to layer the ingredients onto the pizza before the shredded cheese went on.


Finally, it was dinnertime! What can I say, “Super Yum!!!!”


After dinner, I was finally able to sink my teeth into the pear tart, “Super, Super Yum!”

Sometimes the best way to save ‘our environment’ is to fill our hearts and bellies with the gifts that this world provides for us for free – plus a little hard work!

Jim

No comments: