Saturday, October 23, 2010

Spirit Of The Land

While I was writing my last blog story, a song that I haven’t listened to in a while began echoing in my head. It is a song that I have used as a teaching tool in a few of my art classes for children because it has many thoughts concerning the future of mankind… and our responsibility in the creation of it!

For today’s story I thought that it would be fun to share the lyrics of this great Rock’N’Roll tune as well as a few more artworks created for me and the world, this spring, by the students who rode The Peacebus.

Spirit Of The Land

Have you been touched by the spirit of the land

From a far away call into the palm of your hand

It’s inside every woman and it’s inside every man

It’s time to look and listen to know and understand


The news is getting further and the word is getting ‘round

We will end another people if we keep taking from the ground

You’ll see it in the symbols and the songs with ancient sounds

You’ll find it all connected it you take time to look around

Look around

There’s a gathering of races and a gathering of souls

There’ll be a choosing of direction and a distribution of roles

Earth is turtle island

And air is isle of green

Water is in India

Fire is Aborigine

Hothouse Flowers – 1993 – from the album ‘Songs From The Rain’

This whole album is a truly inspirational work of art and I would recommend any and all songs to you… for your listening pleasure - www.hothouseflowers.com

Jim

No comments: