Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Announcing – Art Classes For London Youths

It has taken close to five months to prepare for this announcement.

Last October someone told me about a community organization that is operated by local artists. I soon found myself inside their building chatting with Barbara. She showed me the many rooms and explained what they are used for. When I saw the room that had shelves of pottery and a big kiln in the back, I didn’t need to be told what these artists do!

I was there to introduce myself and the art programs that I teach and I was curiously surprised when Barbara told me that they were in the beginning stages of planning their spring art programs for the youth of the community. I guess that this was my lucky day!

Barbara was very pleased to chat about the teaching methods that I bring into the art workshops and soon we were discussing ideas for this spring. We are just about to complete our flyer – which will be distributed through schools and libraries – and probably a laundromat or two. In just a few hours, I’ll be at the Fanshawe College radio station (FM 106.9) to promote these classes during a half hour long interview – this show will be on the air this coming Sunday, the show is called Straight Talk with Bill Paul - if you want to google this and listen…

I’ve got all my supplies ready for the first class. Now, the canvases need to be primed and the designs need to be prepared. This will be the first time that I’ve ever had an apprentice – a volunteer – hand selected by me. I’ve told you about Chris, before. He was one of my first students when I was teaching my first class in London, in 2004-05. A few months ago, he approached me as I was working on a library computer. (http://bitsandpeaces08.blogspot.com/2008/11/day-of-threes.html) That was the first time I had seen him since 2005. Later that night I thought of the idea of having him help me with my next classes and that’s just what I did. I’m meeting him, later today after my radio interview, and we’ll begin the tasks of preparing the canvases

So….

If anyone knows any children between the age of 9 – 13 years old, who wants to learn about the environment in a fun way and then create a painting that they get to keep and bring home – let me know. Actually the person to call is Barbara and her phone number is (519) 642-1402. Leave a message if you get the answering machine.

Here are the details:

All classes will be on a Saturday afternoon – starting sharp at 12:30pm until 5:00pm.

The dates are March 07 and 28, April 28, May 23 and June 06.

The cost is $20.00 per class.

Students may sign up for a maximum of three classes.

Students should bring a snack, pen, writing pad, pencil crayons and a smile.

The classes will be held at the Lions Artisans Community Centre – 1731 Churchill Ave. (It’s near Dundas Street East and Third St. – three blocks south)

You have already seen how I use the photographs taken during my workshops – like the one at the beginning of this blog. I will be encouraging parents to grant me permission to do the same during these workshops. However, if anyone has an objection, I will not be offended to hear so.

The topics will include:

March 07 and April 28 – Earth, moon and sun

March 28 and May 23 – The trees of Temagami

June 06 – Good Vibrations – this will be a group painting that will later be donated to the London Health Science Centre for their annual auction fundraiser.

Well, that’s about all I can think of to tell you about this, right now. Please, help me spread the word so that this effort can be a successful one!!!!

Thanks!

Jim

No comments: