Sunday, March 29, 2009

Celebrating Earth Hour 2009

Yesterday, March 28, the world united to express their concern for global environmental issues. If you think about it, that’s quite a positive statement!


For one hour – from 8:00pm to 9:00pm – millions of people turned off their lights and unplugged stereos, computers and other electronic devices… millions of people!!! Yes, it’s true that enormous amounts of energy were not used during this time, but the purpose of this event was not simply to save one hour’s worth of electricity. This event was an artful expression of love. Love for the Earth. Love for each other. Love for future generations.


Over the last decade or so (tho’ the alarms have been sounding for over half of a century) people have become increasing concerned about the health of the Earth’s environment. The first stage of this process is accepting a new set of personal values and beliefs. During this time, we begin to search for new ways to live our lives. Maybe we stop eating at fast food restaurants. Maybe we sacrifice the things that we once thought were a necessity (like a morning cup of coffee) but now realize are a luxury. Maybe we’ll put up ‘No Flyers’ signs on our mailboxes to try to cut down of the paper products that our society loves to waste. Many of these actions are personal – things that we can do in and around our homes.


The second stage of becoming a citizen of the World, is a little more difficult and takes a lot more personal courage. This is the ‘sharing’ stage where people look for ways to express these new desires with others – so that the entire world will benefit. This stage is more difficult because we don’t want to anger others by telling them what they are doing is wrong. This only builds walls between us. I’m fortunate because I’ve found positive ways to share my ideas with others… thro’ my environmental art classes.


Earth Hour was designed for our second stage. It allows individuals to do something personal to express their desires to heal our planet, realizing that millions of others are participating as well. Earth Hour is not an action that will save our environment. It is an action that will prepare us for the third stage of this new human development. Considering that this event is now only three years old, we should all be amazed and overjoyed with this global celebration that united millions of passionate lovers of life!

My Earth Hour lasted for the entire day…

I began my day, with Koly, in my back garden. Many sprouts are beginning to appear in my gardens and I spent the morning making mental notes of what was coming up where and where I wanted to do my transplanting to make my garden more beautiful this year.

After a hearty breakfast, I prepared myself for my afternoon art class that I was to teach. Although my ‘Art For Earth 2008-09’ classes ended last month, my new art workshop began yesterday. For the next four months, I’ll be teaching these classes once a month on Saturday afternoons.


The class is designed to allow ten children to participate. This number has worked well, in the past, allowing me time to give each student personal instruction. Yesterday, there were just two students enrolled. My assistant, Chris, decided that he wanted to do a painting as well, so I guess you could say I had three learners. There were supposed to be two others joining us, but…. The promotions for these art workshops is still growing and everyone involved knows that future classes will be more successful with attendees.


We spent the first hour of the class learning about the significance of the Temagami forestland. We learned about species of forests. We discussed the harms of clearcutting. We talked about things that we could do to reduce our consumption of paper products. And then we learned how to paint a picture, using many different texturing techniques…


We all had a great time painting, sharing funny stories, joking around and occasionally I had a minute or two to play a little music on my guitar. Then the paintings were done!


I made it home by about 6:00pm and Joanne and I celebrated the success of my first class by going out for a simple meal. We returned home and began to get ready for Earth Hour. I had not heard of any community event happening during this hour, but I figured if something was going on that it might be happening in the downtown park. Victoria Park takes up an entire city block. It has bike paths, benches, lots of trees and flowerbeds and a bandshell for summer concerts. I was thinking that possibly a few young ‘hippy’ types might be gathered with guitars and drums.

It was a half-hour walk to the park and my arm was getting tired from carrying my guitar case. We got there and we didn’t see anybody. There were two guys with bikes, standing around yaking and a few pedestrians walked through the park, but other than that, it was dark and vacant. Joanne and I and Koly (I forgot to mention that we brought him along, too) sat at a picnic table and simple enjoyed the warmth of the strong spring breezes while we chatted.

After about half an hour, we decided to walk back home, but first I had to play a song. I walked onto the bandshell stage and got out my guitar. In honour of Earth Hour I sang just one song. For me, it was more profound that no one was there to listen. It made me feel that I was playing for the entire city and the world!!! I wanted the vibrations of my guitar strings to resound into our atmosphere as a prayer for healing. I sang…

The Bricks Of Love

We’ll always reap the seeds we sow
When we’re layin’ down the bricks
Layin’ down the bricks
Our love will shine when it’s peace we grow
Yea! We’re layin’ down the bricks
Layin’ down the bricks

Hope is………
Mortar……….

The road we rode quickly turned asunder
And now we’re frightened
By the rain and by the thunder!

We’ll build a house for the world to share
When we’re layin’ down the bricks
Layin’ down the bricks
With no more crying or despair
Yea! We’re layin’ down the bricks
Layin’ down the bricks

Hope is………
Mortar……….

The road we rode cracked, split and fell away
And now we’re building
Towards a better way!

We’ll clean our windows so that we can see
All the love and joy that’s still to be
We’ll open all our doors and let the good spirits in
Then we’ll dance and sing – Yea! Rise above the din

Hope is………
Mortar……….

Layin’ down the bricks
Layin’ down the bricks
…fade

Jim Kogelheide
May 2008


I hope that your Earth Hour was as inspiring and filled with joy!!!

Jim

No comments: