Saturday, December 20, 2008

Friday Night – Open Mic

It has been almost two months since I’ve performed any of my songs in front of an audience, so last night I thought it was time to change this statistic. Joanne came home from work at around 6:30pm, we had a nice simple meal, then it was off to the London Music Club (http://www.londonmusicclub.com/) for the evening. It was great fun driving through all the streets that had yet to be plowed after the snowstorm.

I am always impressed by the LMC – when we arrived we could hear music coming from one of the lounges (a local business was having a christmas party), the downstairs music hall was filled with people attending a small concert by a few travelling musicians, and the first singer of the night was on the ‘open mic’ stage in the third music hall. One building – three music stages!!! I love this place more and more, each time I go there.

Joanne and I found a table to sit at as we listened to the first performance. I found out later that her name is Carly Thomas and that she was visiting London for the holidays. She had flown here from Vancouver – and I bet her arms were tired LOL!!! Carly is an absolutely amazing performer. Her melodies are full of emotions, her lyrics were engaging and full of thought and her voice… was like a sweet drop of heaven! I became very nervous about my upcoming performance, while I was listening to Carly. I knew that I was no where near her talent level and I felt hesitation within me. Then I had a glass of beer and decided that the audience would still enjoy my rough-edged guitar playing. It was my turn…


Peter, the owner of the LMC, helped to get me comfortable on stage. I sat on a tall stool so I could relax a bit, I think my knees were knocking together. Then I began to strum. I decided that I wanted to play one of my newer songs. I have been building this song and practicing it a lot over the last three months and on this night I felt it was time to share it with the world.

Slipping Through Time

Last night I had a dream
I was slipping through time
I was filling the spaces
Of lives that were mine

I was building great big wheels
Using steel for horse
I was damming all the rivers
Changing water course
I was digging in the ground
When I thought I found the sun
And now a new age
Has just begun

Last night I had a dream
I was slipping through time
I was being the races
Of lives that were mine

Boulders make a mountain
Under whips and ring
Cats stray to life
For the golden king
I was digging in the ground
When I thought I found the sun
And now a new age
Has just begun

These dreams of mine
They are stitched in time
These dreams of mine
Ohhhh, ohhhh, ohhhhh hoh
Space and time
Is borderless when defined
Space and time
Ohhhh, ohhhh, ohhhhh hoh

Last night I had a dream
I was slipping through time
I was wearing the faces
Of lives that were mine

I was chanting with the spirits
Thrusting stick and stone
I walked in little circles
In the places I called home
I was digging in the ground
When I thought I found the sun
And now a new age
Has just begun

These dreams of mine
Ohhhh, ohhhh, ohhhhh hoh
These dreams of mine
These dreams of mine
These dreams of mine

Jim Kogelheide – summer 2008

I played two other songs and then Joanne and I sat back and enjoyed the rest of the evening’s entertainment.


Peter has a deep love for music. You can tell by the ease with which he performs. He performed a couple of songs and then he asked a few other musicians to join him on stage.


The stage was filled with three musicians, spanning many decades of experience. The drummer was the youngest musician, probably in his twenties, Peter is in his early forties and the singer has been enjoying retirement for a year or two, I’m sure. It’s great to see generations coming together to create magic.

There were many other musicians performing and I think that everyone had a fantastic time. I know I did!

It was especially enjoyable for me when the young drummer came to my table and sat down to chat with Joanne and me. He told me that he had really enjoyed my songs and that he thought I played the guitar very well. This made me feel GREAT! Soon, we started talking about art and painting, and poetry and he was very impressed with the work I do with the elementary school students. I’m glad that I remembered to bring some of my peace Stik-ers and I gave him a few to share with his friends.

Just before Jo’ and I decided that we should be heading home I stole a minute to chat with Carly. I told her that I would like to hear more of her music but that I didn’t have any money to buy her CD. She gave me her website address and I’d like to share it with you: http://www.carlythomas.com/ . I plan on checking this out very soon. She mentioned that she was planning on releasing a new CD this coming spring, so I plan on asking her if she would be interested in having me paint a picture for her to use as the CD cover. Wish me luck!!!!!

Jim



No comments: